Friday Fodder: Birthday Blogger Edition

As a birthday present to myself, I took the earlier part of the week off from blogging.  I spent the time fixated on the fact that I’m now closer to 40 than I am to 30.  The first email that I saw the morning of my birthday was a Groupon for Botox.  Well played, Groupon.  Well played.

I’m also a little wiped out from my book’s release four weeks ago.  I also get lazy periodically and may need some sort of rehab to get over my addiction to Candy Crush.  So, please excuse my absence.

Matt, Chase and C.J. made my birthday special as always.  Matt always buys me a present and takes the boys to Target so that each of them can gift me with something that I’ve always wanted.  Then, the boys made cards for me.

This if the front of my card from C.J.:

photo 1

This is the inside, that’s me opening up my presents.  I have really long legs like a supermodel, according to C.J.:

photo 2

This is C.J. and Chase falling down the stairs to watch me open my presents because I started opening them without them.  I think he just wanted to draw his hair in motion:

photo 3 This is the gift that C.J. picked out especially for me.  It may look like only a cute little cupcake tchotchke, but wait there’s more:

photo 5

Inside is this necklace that I am wearing now with pride:

photo 4 “Mom, how about you have the necklace and I have the cupcake?  That sounds like a good idea, doesn’t it?” C.J. said persuasively.

“Okay,” I agreed.

“And, then, when you die I can have the necklace,” he said.  That didn’t help me with my feeling old problem.

* * *

This Tuesday, October 8, I’ll be at the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library.

misc-lori-duronAt 7 p.m., I will be in the Main Meeting Room.  The event is free and open to the public.

Parents of gender nonconforming children are invited to a special visit with me at the library from 6 to 6:30 pm. This session is free but sign up is required; parents can email Robin Fosdick at robin.fosdick@corvallisoregon.gov to register.

An extra special thank you to the Friends of the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library and the Hilton Garden Inn for sponsoring this event.

* * *

Raising My Rainbow: Adventures in Raising a Fabulous, Gender Creative Son is now available in the UK and Ireland in paperback and for your e-reader.  Spread the word.  #raisingmyrainbowworlddomination

Advertisements

This entry was posted in All Posts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Friday Fodder: Birthday Blogger Edition

1. me says:

My sister and I used to do that to always ask our mom if we could have when she died. That cracked me up to see CJ asking the same thing.

2. Your entire post cracked me up. I especially love CJ’s “falling down the stairs” drawing. Thanks for starting my day with smiles.

3. RR says:

I just finished your book today and immediately wanted to stop by your blog to hear more about CJ! I really admire you and your husband – such, courage, thoughtfulness, honesty, and love. Happy Belated Birthday and thank you so much for sharing your story.

4. Pippa Pirrip says:

“And, then, when you die I can have the necklace,” he said.

That made me LOL! Oh kids, you’ll just say anything, won’t you!

5. The Cupcake says:

Happy birthday! 🙂 I’m only a new follower, but I love your writing and I can’t wait to see more!

6. Tori says:

Happy Birthday Lori! You are a true inspiration and truly amazing person! As for CJ wanting your necklace when you die….don’t feel bad, I’m turning 36 in a month & my 5 year old son recently made a formal request that in my will I leave him, not his sister, all my heels, jewelry, makeup & most important all my “sparkly dresses” . My reply: No worries babe, your the only one in the family that actually appreciates my shoes, makeup, jewelry & most importantly, all my “sparkly dresses” xoxoxo

7. shahnaz says:

Yes lori, it will be nice to see both card and both
    present. Since chase might certainly had a completely different option. Happy birthday anyway, I think you look gorgeous, kate middleton alike, hahaa

8. MM says:

Love this: #raisingmyrainbowworlddomination

Hahhahahahahah

9. Rowan says:

Awesome! Happy birthday. Having a few feels myself about turning 60 in under three months. But hey, you have a wonderful family and a cupcake necklace. Rock on!

10. pinkagendist says:

I’ll be closer to 40 than to thirty next year 😀 Hahaha I win 😀

11. Happy birthday! What an awesome necklace! I imagine you’ve seen the book “Roland Humphrey is Wearing a WHAT?”, but perhaps some of your readers haven’t. I know it sums up our gender nonconforming son pretty perfectly – I encourage everyone to get a copy!!!! (and no, I am not and do not know the author). http://rolandhumphrey.com

12. Happy birthday. Sounds like you had a lovely day with your beautiful family x

13. Richelle says:

Happy birthday, Lori!
    And remember, middle age is always 20-25 years older than whatever age you happen to be. 🙂

14. As a gender therapist in Colorado I am so thankful for you and your family for getting the education and understanding out there. I am currently recruiting child therapists in the area who are interested in working with gender variant children, and the first thing I told them to do is read your book and subscribe to your blog. 🙂

15. Debby M. says:

Happy Birthday!

“And, then, when you die I can have the necklace,” =D

Debby

16. Ellen says:

Happy birthday Lori! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Loved the cupcake and necklace. Don’t worry about the age it is only a number and you look young regardless…thanks for sharing your world!

17. mark says:

happy birthday, Lori!!!! Remember. it is ALWAYS great to have another birthday. especially considering the alternative!

18. Sue Gaines says:

How about 61 going on 62 in a couple weeks? And I still don’t feel old. Happy Birthday, Lori and thank you for a fantastic book and blog.

19. Lisa says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LORI!!! I’ll be 40 on Friday and can completely sympathize with your feelings about getting “up there.” I’m not sure how I feel about this milestone! Sounds like you had a fabulous day and I LOVE the cupcake and necklace….too cute! Thanks for letting us have a little glimpse into your life and for sharing your story with us. Your book and your blog have truly been an answer to my prayers! Have a wonderful week!

20. allabouttheweight says:

Happy b-day! Don’t worry about age. As Dr. Jones (Indiana Jones) says ‘It’s not the age it’s the mileage.’

21. Louise says:

Happy Birthday! Love the rainbow cupcake necklace. I’ll be hitting 36 in a few weeks, finally closer to 40 than 30, and planning to revel in it. Thanks for your glorious blog, I love it 🙂

22. Sam says:

Happy Birthday! And don’t worry about age. Just remember you are like a rare gem, the older you get the brighter you sparkle! 🙂 And you know how awesome sparkling is!

23. Davinia says:

We want to see Chase’s card and gift too!

Happy Birthday – glad you had a great day.