Is This Basket Too Much?

Uncle Uncle and I needed some Onion Blossom Pringles, so off we went to the grocery store with C.J. in tow.  We needed chips and guess what C.J. needed?  This!  Just a little subtle Easter basket, nothing too over the top.

Advertisements

This entry was posted in All Posts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Is This Basket Too Much?

1. Chris says:

My brain is telling me that basket MUST be for several siblings to share, but I can’t ignore the reality that it probably is all intended for one person. Maybe I’m just jealous??

2. justin says:

It is so over the top, but why not go all the way if ur going. never do anything half ass lol i would so have that basket and like 3 more to share with my god kids lol your son has wonderful taste

3. Reneecamp says:

No! It’s just this side of understated! I know my roommates Jeff and Tristan would LOVE IT!

4. Victoria Leavitt says:

Why be subtle? Make a statement and be whatever you are to the fullest. I personally loved the basket.

5. Alistair says:

That is definitely a loud statement on the over-marketing of holidays. I am sure something that flashy is meant to catch the eye of every small child that passes and it seems to have worked as planned. If this is a big holiday for you then why don’t you celebrate a different way? You could spend some big activity time together and go to a craft place to make things for each other and then get everybody to help making a big dinner after?

6. Mitch says:

Raised in a Christian household, Easter was like a mini-Christmas at my home. My brother and I always get a basket full of goodies–mostly candy, gum, and toiletries (random, I know), but there was always one slightly bigger gift (like a video game–max $40 purchase usually). If CJ wants it, why not get it??? You know he’ll starting sweating glitter from all the excitement he’ll experience!

7. justamom says:

You see kids are funny. Today I told my son about this blog that tells a story about a little boy that likes pink and barbies – and he looked mazed : “Is it about ME?!” “Because” he explained “I also like Barbies and Pollies…” 😀

8. Tommy says:

Okay, with all due respect, I think the line between those of us who grew up living CJ’s experience and those who HAVEN’T has been drawn. Why should joy be arbitrarily restricted to birthdays and Christmas? Being FABULOUS is a full time job. As an old gay man, I look out at the hetero world and their dreary faces and thank the Universe that I know every day can be a joyous celebration if you decide it to be. Being gay isn’t all about stigma, it’s also about freeing yourself from the constraints of hetero expectations. You know, that dull box you climb into willingly when you’re young, only to discover twenty years later you have lost your identity and don’t know how to get out?
    There are benefits to societal marginalization: You Create Your Own Life.
    BUY HIM THE BASKET, then set about to teach CJ that HE is the greatest treasure he’ll ever own. He’ll never forget it. PEACE

9. Chris says:

You better make sure CJ’s brother gets an equally “too-much” basket at Easter as well. You know kids always size up the gifts of their siblings! Of course the bonus is that it sounds like CJ and his brother probably don’t fight over gifts!

10. Bash says:

I think its because its Pink?

11. Tommy says:

OMG, no way is that too much! Did you see it? It has doll furniture and a doll, with princess dress up shoes and jewelry!!!!! And there’s candy, lots of candy in the bottom!!
    Oooooohhh nnnooooooo it’s PERFECT!
    Could you stand to crush that little heart’s desire? CJ knows what he loves the instant he sees it (gaydar gene fer sure)—I’m sure all he talks about is that basket, to give him anything less will tell him his desires are wrong, that you don’t understand how important this is to him, and trust me…he won’t ever forget it, it’ll just be buried in the initial layers of shame he’ll feel for being different. You MIGHT try and explain that he can’t always get what he wants (a little Rolling Stones might help here-have him do a dance to the song and learn the lyrics)—but chances are when you’re doing that “parental responsible talk” all he’ll be hearing is “blah, blah, blah” and quivering inside with anticipation about getting his hands on HIS EASTER BASKET!!!
    Remember, gay boys don’t automatically grow up to play with dolls and be femme, they can be big body builders studs who can still rush home to critique dresses on Oscar night. It’s not one or the other, it’s a beautiful mix of traditional gender behavior. That’s why we’re so special…just like CJ.

• tlh-in-tlh says:

Well, to me, yes, the basket is a little much, mostly because it’s bigger than CJ. And full of plastic. But if you’d get him the plastic anyway, then it’s probably more reasonable. And Tommy, you *are* kidding about “anything less will tell him his desires are wrong”, right?

12. Jim says:

I agree with Blackshire. Personally I think its nicer to make a basket then one of the store bought one. There’s also something to be said about teaching kids about wanting vs. accumulating junk – no matter what the preferences. Look at all that plastic!

13. Blackshire says:

The only thing over the top here is that this basket exists….

14. Mandee says:

Heck no it isn’t too much specially for $20. after going and buying a basket and then stuff to put in the basket your going to spend that if not more! I say get it lol

15. MaryAlice says:

OMG! Those plastic shoes and jewelry are TO DIE FOR. Ella would have loved it at CJs age.

16. Ed says:

OK. If it is a birthday, or Christmas, I think CJ is not asking too much. But for Easter? I think it is over the top.